The AFC West will see early hostilities under the bright lights of Monday Night Football in Week 1. We have all you need to watch the action.
Following the Kansas City Chiefs’ huge win over the New England Patriots on Thursday, the AFC West is on notice. That includes the Los Angeles Chargers and Denver Broncos, who will be playing one of two Monday Night Football games for Week 1, beginning at 10:20 p.m. ET on ESPN (live stream via WatchESPN).
Vance Joseph is the new head coach for the Broncos while Anthony Lynn is the new head coach for the Chargers. The Broncos also have former Chargers coach Mike McCoy as their offensive coordinator, plus this is the first game the Chargers will be playing since moving the franchise to Los Angeles.
It’s not a matchup that’s hurting for storylines, that’s for sure.
On top of all of that, Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen is finally making his return from a knee injury that derailed his 2016 campaign. Every time Allen is set to break out and establish himself among the league’s elite receivers, he seems to get injured. He’ll try and have a productive game catching passes from Philip Rivers on Monday.
The AFC West should be interesting this season. Most have suggested the Oakland Raiders are the favorites, but the Chiefs did look very, very good against the Patriots on Thursday. The Broncos are still just a full season removed from winning the Super Bowl and the Chargers are always in the mix with Rivers at quarterback.
Monday’s game should be huge in determining the immediate future of the AFC West.
Time, TV channel, and streaming info
- Time: 10:20 p.m. ET
- Location: Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium, Denver, Colo.
- TV: ESPN
- Streaming: WatchESPN
- Odds: Denver is favored by 3.5 points.
Chargers at Broncos news:
- Broncos defensive end Jared Crick was a limited participant in practice earlier in the week, but missed the session on Friday. There’s no official word on his status for the game, but he seems likely to miss at this point. Fortunately, Derek Wolfe went from limited to full participation in practice.
- Denver offensive lineman Garrett Bolles will face a stiff test against a Los Angeles defensive front that includes Joey Bossa and Melvin Ingram, but he says he’s ready for a new challenge and appears ready for his first big test of the season on Monday.
- The Chargers are the team that fired Mike McCoy, new offensive coordinator for the Broncos. McCoy should have plenty of extra motivation on Monday. Wide receiver Demaryius Thomas talked about it:
“If you were the head coach for the Chargers, and you got fired, and you play them on Monday Night, what would you want to do?” said wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, laughing. “I’d try to put up 100 if I could. I don’t know if that’s possible, but I’d try.”
Chargers at Broncos prediction:
Of the eight experts picking for SB Nation, only two of them think the Broncos will win it, leaving the other six picking the Chargers. The two dissenters are joined by the OddsShark computer in picking Denver, however. The full SB Nation Week 1 picks can be found here.